This is an old revision of the document!
Challenges of a software engineer
If you are a mid-level software engineer, you might want to pay attention to the following challenges on your way to a senior software engineer.
- not looking close enough at the real thing (logs, debug mode, verbose, dry run, dark releases) and not knowing how things work
- overengineering: too many abstractions, too many moving parts
- agile process: getting something done instead of everything, doing proper code reviews (not just cosmetics), being a friend of the backlog, fighting for prioritizing, user story mapping
Let's clarify some of these aspects
Looking at the real thing
- knowing where and how to look (knowing how things work) - knowing the tools availableand how to use them, at the code level, at the system level, etc
Knowing how things work
- helps with the previous point
- unnecessary abstractions
Getting some things done
- making some improvement, and putting the rest to the backog - then fighting to get the newly created story up in the backlog
- without creating tension, taking the progress of people into account